3/22/2011

Your Choice Salad Sandwich

I called this Your Choice Salad because you can use just about anything in it.  The original recipe that I modified called for firm tofu, and it was in turn, modified from egg salad.  I have used this for tuna and for mashed up garbanzo beans, too (also half tuna and half garbanzo beans!).  It seems like it would be just as delicious on turkey or chicken, though.

For 3/4 can garbanzo beans, or tuna, or 1 package (10.5 oz) firm tofu:

2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 T celery, diced
1 med carrot, grated
1 small red pepper, finely  minced
1/3 c sunflower seeds, toasted and salted
1/4 + 1/8 c mayonnaise (or beannaise, in our case)
3/4 tsp curry
pinch cumin


 salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl, mash tofu or beans or separate tuna, turkey or chicken with a fork.  Add remaining ingredients and mix gently. 

GK's notes:  This is the ideal version.  I rarely keep red peppers or celery at home, for example.  Basically, you want some veggies in there, and some crunch.  I frequently use apples and/or onions instead of peppers and/or celery, and it's delicious.  This is usually a "I"m starved...what are we gonna have for lunch??" type of thing, so it's throw what I have in the fridge in there.  If you are better at thinking ahead than I am, make this ahead of time, because it really improves with age, as the spices flavor the sauce, but it's also quite good fresh.  I frequently double it for leftovers, which is another good way to get at least some of it aged a bit.  =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!