3/22/2011

Black Bean and brown rice burgers with salsa mayonnaise

I cannot believe I haven't already posted this, you guys!  This is a huge favorite in our house.  It's easy and SOOOO good, we eat it too often.  This is also from the Gluten Free Vegetarian Kitchen by Donna Klein.

1 c cooked brown rice
1 c vegetarian refried black beans
2 T mild salsa
1 tsp onion powder
1 T oil (too cook the burgers in--DON'T add this to the burgers (like I have done too many times!))

In a small bowl, combine the rice, beans, salsa and onion powder until thoroughly blended.  Form into 4 patties.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the patties and flatten with a spatula to about 1/2 inch thickness.  Cook until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
To serve, place a burger on the bottom half of a roll.  Spread with equal amounts of the salsa mayo.  Top with lettuce and roll tops and serve.

Salsa Mayonnaise
4 T mayonnaise
2-3 T salsa

Combine.  If you don't use it all right away, cover and refrigerate for a few days.

GK's notes:  This is so tasty we always want leftovers, so I almost always double the recipe when I'm making it.  I finally figured out how to stop myself putting the oil IN the burgers--I don't use any.  I cook mine in Pam now!  I think, since these are already half rice, they have enough grain in them, so I don't even bother serving them on a bun.  We eat them with a fork.  I usually serve sweet potato french fries with them.  I don't know why, now that I think of it!  But we like it that way.  (psssst, serve the fries with honey mustard.  Trust me.)
Obviously, you can use whatever hotness of salsa you want in these.  The author recommended using mild or medium in the burgers, and medium in the mayo, but my chitlin and I wouldn't be able to eat it if we did that!

Oh, I wonder if I've posted the beannaise recipe on here...I'll have to go look.  If I haven't, I've been remiss, because it is AWESOME!  All the flavor and creaminess of mayonnaise, but half the fat and added protein and fiber (cause it's half great northern beans!)  Anyway, I'm sure it's possible to find soy-free, egg-free mayo out there, but I'm not interested in looking for it.  I don't mind making my own, since it's so much healthier anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!