3/22/2011

Guacamole

I don't know about you folks, but I was never able to make guacamole at home and make it taste right.  I never even got close.  Then I got The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen, by Donna Klein.  Her recipe is perfect, and delicious!  Its page in my book is...scary, because I use it so much and spill so much when I cook.  =P

2 ripe Haas avocados, peeled, halved and pitted
1 med plum tomato, finely chopped
2 T finely chopped onion
1 T fresh lime juice
1 T finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 small jalapeno chili, finely chopped (opt)
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, coarsely mash the avocado with a fork.  Add everything else and stir well to combine.  Do not try to keep longer than 8 hours, even covered tightly and refrigerated.

GK's notes:  I don't put a pepper in, I stir some salsa in for a little heat, and because I like the flavor.  Also, I don't try to keep fresh herbs around, so I use about a teaspoon of dried cilantro, soaked in the lime juice while I process the avocado.  It works for me!  505 brand salsa is vinegar free, if you're looking for corn-free salsa.  It is also onion-free, so if you use onions, you may need to increase your chopped onion (or, if you're in a lazy mood like I frequently am, just add a dash or two of onion powder).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!