3/22/2011

Beannaise

Ok, I guess I haven't posted this.  It's from the Food Allergy Survival Guide by
Vesanto Melina, Dina Aronson and Jo Stepaniak.

  • 1 3/4 cups drained cooked or canned white beans (one 15 or 16 oz can)
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar or additional fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup organic canola or safflower oil
Place the beans, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and dry mustard in a blender (for the smoothest dressing) or food processor fitted with a metal blade.  Process until very creamy.  With the appliance running, drizzle in the oils in a slow, steady stream through the cap opening in the lid.  Continue processing until well blended and completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container as needed.  Chill thoroughly before using.  Keeps about 7 days in the refrigerator  May be frozen.

GK's notes:  That's exactly as it's written in the book.  I am too cheap to buy olive oil, so I just use canola.  I use my food processor, and it turns out fantastic.  In fact, I don't use my blender at all anymore.  I either use my food processor, or my stick blender.  I should get rid of that thing...
Oh, also, when I freeze mine (again, when I make it, I make, well, triple batches of this stuff, cause it's a little bit of a pain, and we use a decent amount of it), I freeze it in ice cube trays, then put the cubes in zip lock baggies.  My trays make about 2 T cubes, so it's easy to get out only what you need.
You do need the mustard powder, even though it seems like such a small amount.  It turns out, mustard is an emulsifier, so the mayo wouldn't stay together without it.  You can buy soy lecithin, or sunflower seed lecithin
 if you can't eat mustard, but you have to have some kind of emulsifier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!