3/22/2011

vegetables primavera

This is another recipe from The Gluten Free Vegetarian Kitchen.  It makes a delicious side dish.

3 T vegetable broth
2 T oil
1 T dijon mustard
2 tsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 c sliced fresh zucchini, pref. a mix of green and yellow
1 c baby carrots
1 c chopped red bell pepper
3 cups broccoli florets
2 T finely chopped fresh parsley or basil

In a small bowl, whisk together 1 T of the broth, 1 T of the oil, the mustard, vinegar s & p.  Set aside.
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the remaining oil over medium heat.  Add the zucchini, carrots, and bell pepper;  cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the broccoli and remaining broth; cover and cook until the broccoli is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.  Add the mustard mixture and cook, stirring, until just heated through.  Serve warm, sprinkled with the parsley.

GK's notes.  Whew!  I hadn't actually read that whole recipe in a while.  I pretty much ignore its cooking instructions, because I'm lazy.  I get a few bags of frozen veggies (whatever's in the freezer) and measure out about 6-7 cups of veggies and cook them in the microwave (or steam them, if I'm feeling industrious) and just pour the sauce over them.  If I WERE to bother stir-frying them, I'd cook the broccoli and carrots first, for about 3 minutes, then add the zucchini and cook for another 3 minutes or so, and then add the peppers for another 3 minutes or so.  Her way is going to end with over cooked zucchini and peppers and undercooked broccoli! 
Whatever.  My way is far easier, and the sauce makes any veggies ridiculously delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!