3/22/2011

Lentils and couscous

You can get rice couscous now, from Lundberg brand, which is great!  This would be just fine on regular rice, since the couscous is a little pricey, but if you can get the couscous, I highly recommend it (or, obviously, if you can have regular couscous, get that!).
This recipe is from The Meatless Gourmet:  Flavors from Around The World by Bobbie Hinman.

1 c lentils, uncooked
4 cloves (or more) garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/16 tsp cinnamon
1 bay leaf
3 cups broth
2 tsp oil
2 c onion, cut verticallly into very thin slivers
1 c water
1/2 c couscous, uncooked

Place the lentils in a medium saucepan.  Add garlic, spices and 3 cups broth.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through. 
While lentnils are cooking, bring the 1 cup of water to boil in a small saucepan.  Remove from heat, stir in couscous, cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is nicely browned, about 10 minutes.  Crisp, very brown onions are one of the secrets to the flavor of this dish, but be careful not to let them burn.
Add lentils to skillet and mix well.  Remove and discard bay leaf.  Serve lentils over couscous.

GK's notes:  Ok, that's more or less what the book says.  I've modified it pretty heavily, though.  It actually calls for 3 cups water, but I think it's much more flavorful with broth.  I used beef, but any would do fine.  I add a whole bag of carrots with the lentils, for added nutrition and flavor.  Really, double (at least!) the onions.  She isn't kidding when she says the onions make this recipe.  We ended up fighting over them and nobody got enough.  I doubled them last time I made it and it still almost wasn't enough. 
If you use the rice couscous, follow the directions on the box, obviously, not these.  The couscous I bought was the Mediterranean Curry flavor from Lundberg, and I cooked it in vegetable broth.  I think that makes this whole dish a ton more flavorful, but obviously, you don't have to do that if you don't want to!
I sweated the garlic and cumin for a minute before I added the broth etc., but I don't know that that's necessary--I just like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!