8/20/2009

Noreos?

I haven't made these yet, but I figure I have to post something every now and then, or no one will ever read the blog...of course, it helps if I tell anyone about it.

Anyway, the gluten-free Newman O's are delicious, if you want Oreos, but can't have wheat. If, like my ds, you have other food allergies, too, then you must keep looking. This was the only thing even close to an allergy friendly version of Oreos I was able to find, so I'm passing it on, so to speak. I have to replace the margarine with shortening, so we'll see how it turns out.

Oh, and sorry, but I don't know who created this. Not me!


Ingredients

* ¾ cup rice flour
* ¾ cup tapioca flour
* ¾ cup cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
* 2 teaspoons egg replacer, dry
* 2/3 cup cocoa
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* ½ teaspoon salt
* ¾ cup margarine
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1 egg replacer, prepared
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1-2 teaspoons water

* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 3 tablespoons shortening
* ¼ teaspoon vanilla
* 2 tablespoons hot water


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer, cocoa, baking
powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of the mixer, cream the margarine and sugar until light. Add the egg replacer
and vanilla and beat well.
4. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions. If the dough becomes too stiff, add the water as
needed.
5. Shape the dough into two logs. Wrap and chill about 20 minutes.
6. Cut into 1/8" slices, if you have a cookie stamp, you can at this point press in onto the sliced
cookies before baking. Bake these cookies on an UNGREASED cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
7. Let cool for only a few minutes before removing from the cookie sheet. Cool thoroughly on a
rack.
8. For the filling, combine confectioners' sugar, shortening, vanilla and hot water ( use enough
to create a good spreading texture).

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I made them. They are pretty good. Not terrifically Oreo-like, but good nonetheless. They were nice and crispy the first day, but of course, after that, they got soft. Which is also not necessarily a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!