8/21/2009

Not so soy sauce

1 1/2 c vegetable, mushroom or beef broth (tbh, any broth will probably do...beef makes it richest)

2 T salt
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
2-3 T dry sherry (real, honest drinking sherry!)
2 tsp dark molasses
1/4 tsp ground ginger
pinch pepper
pinch garlic

Combine all in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until it reduces to 1 cup. This usually takes me between 20-30 minutes. The original recipe that I modified said 15. But I guess I did modify it...

GK's notes: This makes a great soy and wheat free soy sauce substitute. If you are also vegetarian, using vegetable broth does not harm the flavor of this in any way, so go for it!

I have no idea how long it keeps in the fridge. I have kept it for 2 or 3 weeks without being able to tell a difference in quality. I wouldn't try to keep it out of the fridge. I THINK you could make extra large batches and freeze portions of it in ice cube trays for longer term usage, but I haven't tried freezing it yet.

2 comments:

  1. I think the marmite may not be gluten free, so I tried this recipe without the marmite, and it is just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this!!Not sure we would make it without "soy" sauce! Made my night!

    ReplyDelete

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!