10/22/2012

Fish Chowder

So our basement dehumidifier shorted the outlet that our freezers were plugged into, and we had to emergency eat a whole bunch of food.  Fun.  So we had a bunch of fried fish, but there's only so much fried anything you can eat, right?  I thought maybe some fish chowder sounded good.  Found a recipe with only one thing I *had* to sub, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Here's my version, which the hubby and I thought was pretty darned good.  Finally, toward the end of his bowl, the chitlin conceded that he thought it was pretty good, too, though he's been known to speak less than truthfully about my food, cause he thinks I'm delicate or something.  =P


Ingredients:
  • 1/2-1 lb fish fillet 
    tablespoons
     oilmedium onion, sliced1/2 cup celery, diced
    cups
     raw potatoes, diced
    1/2
     cup
     carrot, sliced
    cups
     vegetable brothteaspoon salt2 teaspoons old bay or seasoned saltcup milk (dairy or non)
Directions:


  1. Cut fish into bite sized pieces.  Melt margarine in large saucepan and cook onion and celery until onion is tender and translucent. Add potatoes, carrots, broth, salt and old bay.  Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.  Add fish and cook 10 minutes longer. Add milk.  Reheat, but do not boil.  Serve hot, with freshly baked home made bread or rolls and butter if you like.

     


    The original recipe called for water instead of broth and pepper instead of old bay, but I thought that sounded boring (YAWN), and didn't regret the changes.  Just be aware that if you use broth, it will NOT be that beautiful, snowy white you might expect from chowder.  If you use non-dairy milk, it probably won't be anyway.  We used rice milk, so it was also not terribly creamy or thick.  I might try coconut milk one of these days, but that might require some curry powder, too...
    I didn't specify what kind of fish to use, because I'm doubtful it matters a lot.  If you like the fish taste a lot, use a stronger tasting fish.  If you don't, use cod or tilapia and it doesn't taste very fishy at all.  The original recipe called for cod, but tilapia is what I had on hand.  Also, it called for a whole pound, but I only had half a pound.  We thought it was actually just the right amount of fish, but if you LOVE your fish, go for the whole pound!  =)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!