9/19/2012

Apple butter

Ingredients

    5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
    4 cups white sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

 Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.   Cover and cook on high 1 hour.   Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown. Puree with a stick blender.   Continue cooking uncovered on low at least 1 hour--probably 2. Let cool in crock pot to room temperature.  Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.  Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.




GK's notes:  I was very unsure of this recipe--it smelled so strongly of cloves the whole time it was cooking, I was sure it was ruined.  Nope!  It turned out amazingly delicious.  It was as good as or better than the best apple butter I've ever had.  I even forgot to mix the dry ingredients--I just dumped stuff in as I measured, and it turned out fine.  I don't think that step matters much, because you stir occasionally as it cooks, so it will get all mixed up.  The sugar liquifies, and the apples release juice, so after a couple of hours, it is REALLY liquidy/soupy, but it's ok.  You blend it, and let it steam a while at the end, and it turns out just right.  Nice and thick and delicious.  =)

2 comments:

  1. Any preference as to which apples to use (Granny Smith, Fuji, Red Delicious, etc.)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! I really doubt it makes much difference. If you have a preference for eating, or making pie, use those. I used the apples from my tree, which is a winesap. They are a little like a spicy/sharp fuji, so pretty crisp and juicy, a little tarter than a fuji and just of a more complex flavor. Honeycrisp would be a good stand-in, if you wanted to try winesap, but couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!