8/31/2010

Fudge

4 c powdered sugar
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 c safe milk
2 T shortening
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c chocolate chips
1 c mini-marshmallows
opt another 1 c mini-marshmallows

Spray 9x9 pan with pam and set aside.

Sift sugar and cocoa into large mixing bowl, add chocolate chips and set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat milk and shortening to boil over med-high, stirring constantly to avoid buring.  When the milk is at a steady, strong boil, add 1 c marshmallows.  Stir until well dissolved.

Pour over sugar mixture and stir well until everything is well combined and melted.

Stir in vanilla.

Stir in additional marshmallows, if desired.

Spread fudge in pan and refrigerate until firm.


GK's notes:  I have used both hemp and rice milk.  Both work just fine.  I use spectrum shortening, though I don't see why Crisco or lard wouldn't also work fine.  I use Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips because they are soy and dairy free, but I'm sure any will do--I especially like that they are mini-chips, though, and I would recommend whatever brand or flavor you buy, get mini ones if you can. 

It's been a very long time since I have had "real" fudge, so I can't say if this is much like it, but I love this.  Actually, my whole family loves it.  It's good!  I'm starting to lean toward the idea that some chopped pecans or peanuts would be very good in it.  *sigh*  I may give it a shot with chopped sunflower seeds one of these days, though I think it would be ill received in my house.  *sigh* again.  Although, a whole pan of fudge to myself...hmmm...lol!  We really like it better with the additional marshmallows.  It kind of breaks up the intense richness a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!