10/22/2015

Spanish rice casserole

I started with a box of Lundberg Spanish style Quinoa and rice, but I am a big fan of one-pot meals, so I just wanted to add stuff to the box mix and have a dinner.  Kind of like a kludged hamburger helper.
So I added zucchini, onion, tomato, black beans and additional seasonings and made this casserole style dish!  It turned out great!

1box Lundberg Spanish style Quinoa and rice
1 zucchini, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 onion, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 T minced garlic
2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp oregano
1tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 T bouillon
Juice from tomatoes plus enough water to make the 1 3/4 c of liquid called for on the box of rice and quinoa
3 T butter or margarine

Sautée the chopped onions and zucchini in butter  or margarine till they are translucent (or mostly so)
Add garlic and cook a few more minutes.  Add the beans, tomatoes and seasonings, and let the temp come back up.  Add the liquid and rice box packets, stir and mush the box seasonings (they likely clumped in the box).  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to let the rice and quinoa cook.
Taste and adjust s&p as needed.


I added extra seasonings on top of the stuff from the box because i figured I added a lot more mass, it would overwhelm the seasonings.  And I added bouillon just because I usually do when this kind of recipe calls for water--it has more depth of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!