8/14/2012

Chocolate Tapioca Pudding


We can't use Minute brand tapioca, because they put soy lecithin in it, and we can't make regular pudding, because we can't do dairy.  Pudding has been a rare treat, and the only non-dairy milk that works besides soy is coconut.  We can't do soy, so coconut it is.  Normally, pudding is too much work for me to find it worth-while, but I was having a bit of a craving, so when I saw Let's Do Organic tapioca granules in the store, I thought "Sure, why not?" and made the recipe on the back for chocolate tapioca pudding.  It took just over 10 minutes--I didn't end up having to cook it quite as long as it said, I think, so it was quick, easy AND tasty.  Not bad for a whim purchase!

3 c coconut milk--full fat stuff out of a can, NOT the "beverage"
1/4 c granulated tapioca
1/8 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1/2 c chocolate chips

In a saucepan, simmer the coconut milk, granules and salt.  Cook 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until tapioca is completely transparent.  While this is cooking, melt the chocolate either in a double boiler or in the microwave.  Remove tapioca from heat, stir in sugar and chocolate until completely blended.  Refrigerate to room temperature.  Stir pudding well to break up the tapioca before serving.

I used more like 2 T of sugar...and it's just barely sweet enough for me.  This tasted like real pudding...just a hint of coconuttiness, which we're accustomed to, anyway, because we eat the So Delicious coconut milk ice cream.  The box suggests that you can serve it with shredded coconut, which wouldn't be bad, if you like the texture.  It also suggests sliced bananas, which *I* think would ruin it...lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!