7/18/2011

"cheese" crackers

Oooh, these are tasty!  It's a modified recipe from a cookbook.  I was afraid my mods wouldn't work, but they DID!  And yummm...

Ingredients:
3/4 c ap flour
1/4 c corn flour (or sorghum)
3 T nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 c + 2 T daiya vegan/soy free "cheese"
3 T margarine (or safe shortening)
1/4 c water + additional as needed

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Grease an airbake cookie sheet--highly recommended.  I think they'd have burned on a regular cookie sheet. 
Combine "cheese", margarine and water.  Knead together as well as you can.  In a separate bowl, combine flours, yeast and spices.  Add to "cheese" mixture.  Knead together.  If it's a tad too dry, you could add 1/2 tsp water or so and knead again.  Roll to 1/4 inch thick.  Cut with cookie cutter and place on greased sheet.  Bake about 25 minutes (I found subsequent bakings to take less time).  The original recipe said it made 2 dozen.  I must have used smaller cutters, because I sure have a lot more than 2 dozen.  I used mini cutters, to have little cheese snacks like goldfish or cheez-its.  And they pretty much are like those.  So tasty.  =)

GK's notes:  I use Bob's Red Mill all purpose Gluten-free flour, Earth Balance soy free, dairy free margarine and Daiya cheddar style shreds.  I imagine this recipe would be outstanding with the Daiya colby jack flavor, or with a little cayenne stirred in.  I seriously considered the cayenne, but thought since this was supposed to be a snack for summer camp, I better hold off on the experimentation this time!

Update 6/16/12:  I can't use Earth Balance anymore because of corn, and of course, corn flour was right out.  So I used Spectrum Butter flavored shortening and sorghum flour today.  I also added a dash of paprika, and used a three-"cheese" blend, cause that's what I had.  I used half pepper jack "cheese" and the other half was a mix of cheddar flavor and mozzarella flavor.  I really couldn't be happier with this recipe.  It is so very flexible--you can do whatever you like with it!  It was originally a very bland but very impressively real food treat.  I changed it to fit my son's allergy needs and spiced it up a bit, but you are free to alter it in whatever way suits your needs, and it will very likely turn out just great.  I've done so much to this recipe, and it always turns out.  And did I mention that the crackers are always soooo delicious?  =)

1 comment:

  1. Holli, these look great! My dd is allergic to wheat, egg, milk, peanuts, treenuts and sesame, and "cute" snack food is something she has missed out on since preschool days. Even though she is 11 and past the age where that would have been important I still cannot wait to try making these for her!

    ReplyDelete

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!