12/09/2010

sweet potato and black bean chili

My mother in law and kid called this soup, not chili.  Call it what you like, I called it tasty.  I'm not terrifically sure of the measurements, because I kinda eyeballed things as I threw them in the pot, but I think it's right.


Ingredients:
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 med. yellow onion, cut as you like
1-2 T oil
1 T minced garlic
1 qt beef broth
1 qt tomato sauce (I used my mil's homemade sauce which includes some onion and green peppers, and is really saucy)
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 tsp cumin
1-2 T chili powder
1 tsp coriander
1 T vegetable bouillon powder (I use Massel brand from Australia.  It's fairly salty, but it really makes soups taste so much better.  Huh.  Who knew?  You can get it at veganessentials.com)
1 tsp molasses  ( I _really_ didn't measure this, so perhaps "to taste" would be more appropriate)
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
Cook the onions in the oil, in a large pot over medium until they start to turn transparent.  Add garlic and cook another minute or so.  Add, well, pretty much everything else and cook for a half hour or so, until the potatoes are tender. 

Notes:
I was very hungry, so I literally only waited until the potatoes were just tender, so they still had a pretty sweet sweet potato flavor, which I thought went very nicely with the molasses flavor.  I kind of gave a range on the cumin and chili powder, because we like things just a tad spicy here.  If you like it mild, put less in.  If you like it spicy, add more, or even better, when you've served it up, add a few dashes of Tobasco Chipotle.  OMG.  Seriously, we are addicted to that stuff.  I didn't even think of it til just now (and I spiced it up enough in the pot that we didn't _need_ it today, but that would have "kicked it up a notch" as they say.  Mmmm...
A local restaurant served something like this the other day, and I didn't get it, but kind of wished I had, and I've been craving it ever since.  It was a daily special, so not regularly available, so I had to try to make it up myself.  I'm glad I did, cause this totally satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Of course, I reserve the right to delete and/or mock mercilessly any meanness or stupidity. I'd rather you participate in a constructive way!